Travel Tips for the Caribbean and Central America
I’m heading to South America, Central America and the Caribbean next. I first travelled to South America in 2010 and I visited Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Suriname and a few others. Then I jaunted into the Caribbean and Central America. My memories are sweet and it’s a HOT place to travel in, I’ll share 5 destinations from the region for you today. These are my top 5 travel tips for the Caribbean and Central America, especially for new travellers.
1. Trinidad and Tobago I first visited Port of Spain in 2011 and loved it. A flambouyant mix of Spanish and English influence meets that funky Caribbean vibe we all know and love! Check out Brian Lara Avenue and the home of Dwight Yorke – Tobago!
2. Panama For me the highlight of my trip to Panama was the Canal – I headed to Miraflores Locks to check it out!! But I also loved the Casco Antiguo – the old colonial part of Panama. It’s also s skyscraping business hub these days.
3. Barbados Make sure you get Barbados on your list – it’s a beach paradise. Plus it’s a good way to start in the Caribbean, basically just book a flight to Barbados to kick things off and cruise it from there. There are a lot of boat trips to tour the nearby island countries too – it’s a place to relax and sip cocktails but go on the easy on the wallet!
4. Cuba Yes, Cuba has to be on your hit list! Great history and architecture. The whole political stigma – it’s a clean and crisp communist country – and if you’re lucky you might get to see the main man himself – Fidel Castro! Start off in Havana and head on tours from there and don’t forget rum and cigars!
5. Mexico Who wouldn’t want to visit the land of cacti, Tequilla and ancient Aztec sites? Places like Chichen Itza and Teoutihuacan are famous the world over and tourists flock from far and wide to see them.
While you’re at it, visit Mexico City the only stadium in the world to have hosted two World Cup Finals is here – the place Maradona lifted the trophy in. Those are just a top 5 for starters when you head to the Caribbean and Central America. I hope to write about Honduras, Costa Rica and Aruba at some point too. The Caribbean is a true paradise!